Monday, May 21, 2012

Harbinger Review


Harbinger



 Harbinger

Title: Harbinger

Author: Sara Wilson Etienne

Release Date: February 2nd 2012

Pages: 309 pages (Hardback)

Description from Goodreads:
Girl, Interrupted meets Beautiful Creatures in this fast-paced thriller

When sixteen-year-old Faye arrives at Holbrook Academy, she doesn't expect to find herself exactly where she needs to be. After years of strange waking visions and nightmares, her only comfort the bones of dead animals, Faye is afraid she's going crazy. Fast.

But her first night at Holbrook, she feels strangely connected to the school and the island it sits on, like she's come home. She's even made her first real friends, but odd things keep happening to them. Every morning they wake on the floors of their dorm rooms with their hands stained red.

Faye knows she's the reason, but what does it all mean? The handsome Kel tries to help her unravel the mystery, but Faye is certain she can't trust him; in fact, he may be trying to kill her - and the rest of the world too.

Rich, compelling writing will keep the pages turning in this riveting and tautly told psychological thriller

 

Review:


Ok so it took me a bit of time to sort through my thoughts on this book and I have finally decided... I think.  Anyway, ignoring my inner turmoiI,  had a hard time deciding whether I loved or loathed this book. I think I settled on loved because this book was just filled with awesomeness. So I came into this thinking it was another one of those camp for people with powers where a girl will fall in love with some guy and she will be different from all other girls and he will be different from all other guys and they will have drama blah blah blah and she will make all kinds of friends blah blah type of books. I was half right, all of the above happens but in a completely rare and exciting way. So yes Faye falls in love with some guy right away, yes she is made of awesome and makes friends semi-quickly and the world focuses on her (literally) but she isn’t like a witch and the people at the camp are actually there for making trouble.

 I was at the edge of my seat trying to find out why Faye and her fellow campers were waking up in blood symbols and why it was only happening to them. I had all kinds of theories but none were even near close to the truth. I mean what the heck is a Harbinger? I had never heard of it, and after reading this I LOVE the idea. I love that we finally have some Native American lore in a YA book. A lot of the book lures you into an easy repetitive lull and then snaps you at the end with a WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON realization.

<Photobucket

I don’t want to give too much away but I think that this was a really clever and creepy book and other than the so-so romance and predictable back-story I loved this book.  I would recommend reading this one in a secluded room at night preferably during a storm. Seriously I was reading it late one night and when my dad came home from work I hid under my bed. And I’m almost 20. I was a little freaked; I mean who knows he could have been a Murdering old man!

Photobucket


But on a slightly more serious note…


 It was nowhere near perfect, far from it, but it was definitely a nice change from the traditional story.

The things that really threw off my ability to rate this was the slow pace, repetitive style of days at camp, and an underdeveloped of the dystopian? society going on outside of the camp. I couldn’t really tell exactly what was happening but I knew it wasn’t present time and there was some kind of big war going on. While this book was really weird and out there and a bit on the short/slow side it was definitely interesting and surprising so give it a try! :P

You can also find my reviews on amazon and on my goodreads profile: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6118682-princess-kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment